The Citerion Collection edition of Night of the Living Dead is here and it lives up to they hype some of us have made. I arrived home and there was a package waiting for me and inside, Night of the Living Dead. I popped it open after taking a good look at the cover art. The interior art is great as well. The movie itself looks wonderful. I have never seen a cleaner version of Night of the Living Dead. The Millcreek release, last year wasn’t very good. It looked like a weak DVD rip.
It is loaded with features including a very cool 2012 interview with the man himself. If you want a great copy of Night of the Living Dead, this is the one for you. The “uber fan” of Romero has to have this.
Check out the details.
- New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director George A. Romero, coscreenwriter John A. Russo, sound engineer Gary R. Streiner, and producer Russell W. Streiner
- New restoration of the monaural soundtrack, supervised by Romero and Gary Streiner and presented uncompressed on the Blu-ray
- Night of Anubis, a never-before-presented work-print edit of the film
- New program featuring filmmakers Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, and Robert Rodriguez
- Never-before-seen 16 mm dailies reel
- New program featuring Russo on the commercial and industrial-film production company where key Night of the Living Dead filmmakers got their start
- Two audio commentaries from 1994 featuring Romero, Russo, producer Karl Hardman, actor Judith O’Dea, and others
- Archival interviews with Romero and actors Duane Jones and Judith Ridley
- New programs about the film’s style and score
- New interview program about the direction of ghouls, featuring members of the cast and crew
- New interviews with Gary Streiner and Russell Streiner
- Newsreels from 1967
- Trailer, radio spots, and TV spots
- PLUS: An essay by critic Stuart Klawans
To get your copy, click Night of the Living Dead.